Monday 7 April 2008

A brief history in 'Z50A' time

As I said the bike was bought late Octber 2007 from eBay UK. I chose this one because, even though tatty, it was both a runner and original. It had a certificate proving that duty had been paid as it had been imported from the USA. Honda made thousands of these little bikes, and they were popular with American RV'ers who liked to take them on camping trips to allow them to move around the local area. My model is a K1 which is the second year it was in procduction. The K0 preceded this model, and the changes were minor, but significant. The K1 added a battery and lights which made it road legal for the first time. Both the K0 and K1 models are known as hardtails ie no rear suspension. The later K3 model introduced rear suspension to the model and the bike is still in production today, some 40 odd years on. There is neither a speedometer or mileometer fitted so I have no idea how much use this particular bike has had, but considering it is 39 years old, I suspect light use only round the fields of wherever it lived in the States. I placed a maximum bid of £1000 on eBay and subsequently bought it for this price. A trip to the South coast followed and it fitted nicely in the back of my ML320.

No comments: