Tuesday 8 April 2008

The frame, forks, muffler guard and headlamp

Next on the list was to find someone to blast the frame and repaint it back to it's original colours and design. This would have been an easier job if Honda had used solid colours, but no such luck. Silver and Candy Sapphire Blue. The silver goes on first, then the blue is sprayed over it to give it the candy finish. Not the easiest to get right. The frame itself was in great condition considering the age and type of riding people used to do on these bikes. Normally you will find bent or broken steering stops, and at least 1 crack on the frame somewhere, but I had none of that. There was some minor damage caused by a chain coming off a few times, but otherwise it required only a bit of work to get it ready for paint. Same for the tank, headlamp bowl and muffler guard. Even though not a visually not a great site, I have found http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/ a really useful resource for anything bike. I eventually found a fairly local guy, Tony, in Cranleigh, Surrey. He trades under the name Cyclesprays http://www.cyclesprays.com/ , and I took a trip down to see him and discuss the project. I liked what I saw, was happy with his estimate of £350, and left him too it. I think I got a call around a month later and went to pick it up. Another brilliant job, I was pleasantly surprised! I couldn't have asked for more, especially as the final cost came in below estimate at £320. Cheers Tony.
I have stripped the forks completely and replaced all the bushes and springs and re-greased everything. I woke one morning to find the original headlamp lens cracked, so was a bit put out by that. It took me about 3 weeks to find a NOS one, and I bought a NOS chrome surround too.

No comments: